MA in Traditional Music
Joint MA programme in cooperation with the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre. The programme provides the students with further traditional music education of internationally high quality, which takes into consideration the contemporary requirements in the field of music and is directed to the development of creativity. Thus, providing the prerequisites for work in the area of specialisation or for pursuing the PhD degree.
Upon completion of the curriculum the students:
- master their main instrument perfectly and have developed their idiosyncratic playing style based on traditional music;
- know and apply different kinds of improvisation techniques;
- as musicians are able to carry out concerts and other music projects based on tradition;
- are able to create and arrange traditional music for different groups;
- have a systematic overview of the theoretical standpoints on traditional music as well as of different research trends, and can transfer their knowledge of traditional music to general cultural and interdisciplinary context;
- have in-depth knowledge in one subfield of Estonian traditional music, can find, express and solve specific research issues in that subfield;
- participate in traditional music development activities;
- are aware of the ethical aspects of their activities, and of their social role;
- are able to handle issues, both in writing and orally, related to the specialty;
- can critically evaluate theoretical traditional music preparation, practical activities and needs for further studies of themselves and other musicians.
Upon completion of the specialty of traditional music performer-musician, the students:
- have acquired the knowledge, skills and readiness to participate as traditional musicians, as soloists and members of an ensemble, of high level playing technique and profound theoretical knowledge and as instructors in musical and other cultural projects.
Upon completion of the curriculum of traditional music researcher-musician, the students:
- an professionally carry out field work related to traditional music, analyse the material collected and present the results in the form of a research;
- can perform traditional music according to the highest standards and with the feel for tradition.
Upon completion of the curriculum of traditional music composer-musician, the students:
- can create arrangements for traditional music and master transcribing their original compositions as well as musical visions at a technically and stylistically high level
Check the Study Information System for more info.