Pick-Up Belt Exhibition 14th Feb - 19th March 2018
OPENING on FEBRUARY 14 at 16:30
at the Centre for Arts Gallery in the Old Anatomical Theatre at Lossi str. 38.
Open on work days from 9.00 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00.
The exhibited pick-up belts were woven during the Autumn Semester course “Pick-up Belt Weaving”. The course lecturer was master of Estonian national costume Piia Rand.
The course participants were eight university students from a diverse range of curricula who learned the technique for the first time. First of all, the students were introduced with pick-up belts at the folk costume exhibition at the Estonian National Museum (ENM) and in the electronic environment muis.ee. Each participant studied the belts of the Estonian church parish of their origin and chose one to weave. Then the students learned to make tracing patterns and wove their belts according to them. Belt weaving looms and knives made by Sujuri OÜ for the UT Viljandi Culture Academy were used.
Belts were woven by:
1. Katrin Allas: Belt from Äksi Parish ENM 4254.
2. Hanna Liisa Reponen: Belt from Setomaa ENM A446:639.
3. Elise Ustav: Belt from Nõe Parish ENM 6128.
4. Epp Tohver: Belt from Kanepi Parish ENM 13848.
5. Grit Arro: Belt from Pärnu ENM A509:1069.
6. Diana Sokurova: Belt from Vaivara ENM 15613.
7. Annika Kumar: Belt from Halliste ENM A509:1373.
8. Sandra Sommer: Belt from Suure-Jaani ENM 17211.
Belt not not exhibited due to mobility programme.